Get your fleet EV ready with Centrica Business Solutions
GreenFleet Awards 2021 nominees for Fleet Manager of the Year & Private Sector Fleet of the Year
With the UK government setting 2030 for an end of new internal combustion vehicles (ICEs) sales, businesses and fleet operators have fewer than 10 years to go electric.
Here’s how we can help you make the transition to an EV fleet
- Future-proof your EV strategy with an infrastructure growth plan that delivers in the right place at the right price.
- Deploy an integrated, driver-friendly system for employees to charge at home, at work or with public networks.
- Ensure accurate reimbursement of driver energy costs with our in-house EV charging platform and app.
- Access flexible financing to facilitate a long-term electric vehicle infrastructure strategy and minimise upfront costs.
- Install on-site renewable solutions to overcome site constraints, ensure charging flexibility and generate revenue.
Our solution for fleets helps organisations save time and be more efficient by addressing the operational implications relating to evolving national infrastructure, range restrictions along preferred routes and accurate reimbursement of driver energy costs – simplifying the transition with an integrated system for vehicles, infrastructure, energy and optimisation.
We are well placed to help you make the transition to EV
- Over 10 years’ experience working in the energy industry supporting the uptake of electric vehicles.
- Highly experienced fleet team have been working on transitioning Centrica's own vehicles for over 8 years.
- Single supplier and contact point including energy strategy, solutions, charging infrastructure and software.
- Flexible financing options for infrastructure and access to investors with specific expertise in areas important to goals.
- Experienced team providing maintenance of charge points and on-site generation solutions.
As one of the first businesses to adopt electric vehicles (EV) at scale across its global fleet, Centrica have first-hand knowledge of implementing a sustainable transport strategy. This expertise informs the continued development of our EV Enablement solution for other organisations who are making the transition to cleaner transport.
Steve Winter, Centrica’s Head of Fleet (UK) shares his thoughts on how Centrica is making the business transition to sustainable transport and the lessons learnt so far.
We've been using electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids for more than 8 years and have nearly 1,000 of them on the road now. Collectively they’ve clocked up over 3 million miles! In the UK, we plan to go fully electric by 2025. And by the end of 2022, we aim to add another 2,000 EVs to our fleet. To maximise flexibility during this transition period, we've moved to 3-year leases (from 6 years) on all diesel vans.
Transport is responsible for 27% of the EU's total CO2 emissions and commercial vehicles are responsible for 20% of all vehicle related greenhouse-gas emissions, despite accounting for only 5% of road traffic. With the scale of this emissions problem, our biggest motivation is environmental. As a sustainable energy organisation, it's important for us to be ahead of the curve and to demonstrate practical leadership in tackling both air pollution and carbon emissions from ICE vehicles.
Moving to green transport is a key part of our sustainability strategy and essential to achieving our carbon reduction targets. With the size of our fleet (our British Gas company has the third largest commercial fleet in the UK), we can make a huge impact on decarbonising emissions from travel.
There are also regulatory and commercial drivers behind our decision making. For example, the UK government will ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2030. And there are a number of tax benefits, incentives and grants available for electric company vehicles. For example, avoiding charges when driving through low and ultra-low emission zones, which are a growing feature of city centres.
Visit our website and click ‘energy solutions’ to find out more about how we can help your business.